Tuesday 23 April 2013

The Worst Kept Secret in 2013: Manchester United Win Premier League Title


              Seeing as I am a lifelong blue, and therefore (as I would call it), a ‘proper Mancunian’, it is with a heavy heart that I say the following words: Congratulations to Manchester United on winning their 20th title in the 2012/2013 Premier League. Now is not the time for bickering over geographical locations and semantics, though I do so regularly with my red friends. There is one thing that most City fans will concede: that Manchester United deserve the title this season. Being a pessimist (oddly for a similar amount of time as I’ve been a City fan-I’m convinced the two are related) I have to admit I was worried for our title defence as soon as United secured that vital, albeit slightly flukey, Samir Nasri aided victory back in December (I’m not still bitter, honest!). Since then, my greatest fears have been recognised, and United have practically strolled to the league title, securing it tonight with an emphatic 3-0 win over Aston Villa.

 

                This season encapsulates everything I have known about City from a very early age, that they are consistently inconsistent. The only difference now is it is two divisions above where they were when I was growing up (so I suppose I shouldn’t complain too much). Whilst City have had great performances this season, reminiscent of last year’s glory, they have all too often had poor away days (Everton and yesterday at Tottenham spring instantly to mind). If I have learnt anything over my 21 years, it is that if there is one side you cannot afford to give an inch to in a title race, it is Manchester United. Once again the picture of consistency, their mid-season unbeaten run of 18 games clearing a path to what seemed the inevitable title. And yet, to the most optimistic of Manchester City fans and journalists, the events of Monday 8th April threw everything back into contention. Already 15 points behind in the title race, City went to Old Trafford and produced arguably their best performance of the season, winning 2-1. Cue calls that the title race is not dead, calls that only increased in volume when United drew 2-2 with West Ham in mid-week. I, like most City fans and realists, knew the title race had long since been over, and therefore did not need this weekend’s result at Spurs to tell me as much. In fact, prior to the game at Old Trafford, I had been anxiously looking over my shoulder at the chasing pack. All I hope is that the result at Old Trafford is a more representative look at both of the top two teams, playing to their best. This will hopefully give a better picture for me next season, when City can hopefully regain the crown.  

 

                Whilst I am glad I have been spared the heart-attack inducing, ‘typical City’, last five minutes of the Premier League campaign that we saw last May, I had initially hoped that we would have a good chance at retaining the title. I don’t want to get into a significant argument regarding ‘you bought success’ etc, but I will say this. In my mind, £5 is £5, whether you spend it over 5 minutes or 20 years. Both City and United have spent a considerable amount of money on players over the years, but United have had that spending power for longer. I believe that herein lies the edge. It allows time for new signings to gel within a team, creating a stronger atmosphere and a greater understanding between the players. As much as football commentators claim that Robin Van Persie has been the difference between the two sides this season (and he has been a good purchase, don’t misunderstand), the primary force behind United’s success is the man on the touchline. Love him or loathe him, he seems to have an incredible talent for gelling what would otherwise be just above average players together. I am not attempting to say that United do not have quality players-clearly they do. However, within the squad, there appear to be only a handful of truly outstanding players. The rest form a highly successful team behind the individual flair players. And that is the key word, ‘team’. There is no doubt that Manchester United have been the best ‘team’ this season. If you are looking for the strongest set of individuals, I would argue you should look no further than Eastlands. That is not how championships are won, however. Players are bought in the short term, but a team is manufactured in the long term.


                So congratulations to Manchester United, and here’s hoping for a good many years of North West dominance in football. As for the fans of both, at least we can put our petty squabbles behind us... Well, at least for another 4 months until it all starts again!

No comments:

Post a Comment