Wednesday 9 October 2013

FIFA 14 Realism Series: Branching Out Into The World Of YouTube

                           This week, I will be doing a three-part mini series, celebrating and analysing the release of the most successful and popular football game series of all time. I am, of course, speaking of the immortal FIFA series. A franchise that has generated upwards of £3.7 billion since its inception in 1993, the game has made its way into the hearts (and homes) of football fans and gamers across the country. Last year's edition of the game has seen over 4.5 billion goals scored, and a staggering average of 13.3 million per day. The hotly anticipated release of their '14' version, which hit the shelves on Friday 27th September, sold over 2.5 million copies on the day of release. Having got my copy on the day, I have decided to see whether FIFA 14 can be considered to have achieved its primary objective: to be realistic. For Part 1, click here. For Part 2, click here.

                             The final installment in my FIFA 14 series will be relatively short, as all I am doing in this one is setting out my plans for over the next few months, and advertising my all new YouTube channel. With the success of my blog, and my interest in the realism of FIFA, I have decided to marry the two obsessions and start my own YouTube channel. Having begun my FIFA 14 version of the Premier League, where I am using a computer-simulation of each of the fixtures to determine the overall league table, I have realised that there are a couple of flaws to my experiment, and also a couple of areas that could be expanded. In my earlier post, I mentioned that the squads I will use for the entire season in my predictions are the best possible squads that each of the teams have available to them at any given time. This will inevitably not take into consideration injuries, suspensions etc, which is why I have had Luis Suarez playing from the start for Liverpool (not that it seems to have made any difference-the Reds have currently won only 1 of their opening 5 matches). Therefore, YouTube offers me a way to produce more realistic content to check immediately with live events.

                               My YouTube channel will consist predominantly of simulated FIFA 14 videos, with the main aim to determine the realism of the game. I will do this by uploading highlight package videos of two of the most intriguing looking Premier League fixtures of the week. However, unlike my blog's version, which due to time constraints can do nothing to edit the squads, the YouTube channel's videos will wait for the official team-sheets to be announced before beginning the simulation. I will then post the FIFA highlights on YouTube as the match is taking place (hopefully at around half time). This will prove that I have not been able to replay the match to make the result as true to life as possible, giving it an added air of authenticity. I want this to be as much of an experiment for me as it is for you, so rigging the result is not in my best interests.

                                This also opens up many more possibilities for me and the simulation. For example, I will now be able to simulate matches from all sorts of competitions, either domestic, continental or international. I will also be open to any suggestions. If anyone wants to make suggestions for upcoming videos, please use the comment section underneath my videos, or email me directly at itsmorethanjustagameblog@gmail.com. Whilst I will not be able to accommodate everyone's request, I will do my best to ensure that I put out the footage that the majority of the people will want to see. As a result I will be covering the major finals of every cup competition, and I will attempt to do as many of the Champions League and Europa League group and knockout round matches as possible. Looking forward, I will also be attempting to create videos of many of the World Cup games next summer (assuming that the teams involved are actually in the game!). I think that this opens up an extremely intriguing avenue for myself and my experiment, as the time constraints place additional pressure on me to get the results.

                                  So, where can you find this promising new channel? The link is http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6MI4LgdOaTJbmp4vK3dEZA. Alternatively, if you just search into YouTube: itsmorethanjustagame, you should find me. If anyone has any suggestions to improve my channel's design or content, please just drop me an email and I will try to change it. Whilst there is little of interest on the channel at the minute, I promise some good stuff will be coming soon! I hope to begin my videos within the next couple of weeks, so make sure you keep your eyes peeled!

No comments:

Post a Comment